Saturday, February 9, 2013

"It is very good for health!"

It has officially been a week since my move into the home of Usha and Ramesh, my amma and appa. Upon arrival I was greeted with smiling faces and with an unexpected Paati (grandma!). They made sure I was comfortable in every way possible and I have felt completely at home with them since.

Paati doesn't speak english very well, but I automatically felt attached to her. She is a professional mosquito zapper and loves to crochet. They day we arrived she was reading a Tamil to English dictionary to prepare for us! It was the cutest thing. Usha, my amma, is an economics teacher and is studying to get her PhD right now. She is a phenomenal cook and makes everything organic! (a dream come true) She has the most beautiful collection of sarees, and is going to help me find the perfect one! Ramesh loves to talk about his daughter who recently moved to Boston. They have a beautiful home that is slightly removed from the chaos of the rest of Chennai. It almost feels like a suburb. They have spent years tending to their beautiful garden that has a mango tree, coconut tree, lemon tree, flowers, and SO many herbs. Every meal we have had so far has consisted of something from their garden, and everything is "very good for health!"

I have learned so much from this family already. Ramesh and I had the most wonderful talk on the roof of their home for an hour about the differences in our lifestyles, and the perceptions of privilege. His face lights up whenever he talks about his daughter and it makes me so happy to see how proud he is of her. Usha is such a smart woman. Just today we talked about the difference between growth and development. Everyday when I come home from class her students are sitting on the patio for after school tutoring. She wakes up everyday at 4:30am and starts cooking and preparing for the day, goes to her school at 8:30 then comes home at 3:30pm. She then works with her students until 8pm. I have never seen someone work so hard and keep a smile on her face the whole time. She loves this stuff.

India. This past week has been such an emotional rollercoaster for me. There was a point when I felt lost and all over the place. My mind was trying to process so much that it just shut down. Being here has taught me to compartmentalize my emotions. I love India. I love me in India. The world is so different here but somehow I feel strangely connected with this place, the people, their practices, religion, souls, yoga.

This past week my schedule has been waking up at 6:30am, yoga on the roof, breakfast, off to school which starts at 8:30am, classes, guest lectures, spending some time with friends, exploring the city, coming back home around 6:30pm, spending time with my family, dinner!

Yesterday during a community building session we all said what we are thankful for. I said I was thankful for our little IHP family. We work as one body and feel everything together. Everyone is so accepting and open, I have never felt so at home in such a foreign place. I can be in the weirdest mood, and its okay. The support we have for each other is incredible.

Hope Nemo is treating everyone well! Sending love from sunny Chennai.

E

Paati and I




3 comments:

  1. So well written. I feel as if I'm with you elisa my hokis. Your host family sounds incredible and Paati is adorable. All my love to you. Be safe.
    MoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole body is filled with the thoughts and emotions you allow us to feel so vividly through your beautiful writing. Your brain is encountering incredibly new thoughts, experiences and emotions -- it's okay for it to shut down, it's all a part of the valuable process IHP makes accessible. Missing you so much, though you are right here in my heart, so you're never too far. Love you!

    Namaste, big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing. Simply AMAZING. You look beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete