Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cape Town Living

About a week ago we moved into the Bo Kaap, a predominantly Muslim neighborhood in Cape Town known for its colorful houses. Salwa, Ziyaad, and Rakhana are my new, crazy, wacky, all over the place, homestay family. They have made my Cape Town experience one of a kind. They bicker and argue about who left the empty milk carton in the fridge, and it makes me feel at home. Ziyaad is my 16 year old “too cool for school” host brother, Rakhana is my 24 year old host sister and Salwa is my amazing, sassy host mom. She cooks phenomenal Cape Malay curries for us and supplies me with endless amounts of tea. She has been through so much in her lifetime and hearing her stories has been so inspiring.

She was married and had her first child at the age of 19 and divorced her husband 6 years ago at the age of 38 when he chose to take a second wife.  She has fought hard for everything she has, and has provided her two children with the most wonderful lives and hasn’t let her experiences turn her into a bitter or unhappy woman. She is inspired, empowered, and beautiful.

“I do my own crazy, silly, stupid thing. And I don’t answer to anybody.”
“I don’t share my men, I don’t care if it’s in my religion.”
“I still believe in love at my age. Can you believe that?”
“Love is about PILLOW FIGHTS.” – my favorite Salwa quote

South Africa is GORGEOUS. Everywhere you look there is something beautiful. The mountains, ocean, people, music, it’s so much to take in. Everything is picturesque. HOW is this a country torn apart by crime, disease, and inequality?

Of all the cities we’ve travelled to this semester, Cape Town is definitely the most “outdoorsy”. A group of us hiked for two hours to the top of Table Mountain and saw the most beautiful view of what felt like the whole world. Holly and I hiked Lion’s Head a few days later for sunset, ate vegan chocolate and met two amazing human beings who helped us hike down. Yesterday our whole group took a tour to Cape Point where we explored the southern most tip of the continent of Africa. NOTHING can compare to that view. INCREDIBLE.

Only 8 days left in South Africa. I can’t believe how far I’ve come. My life is crazy, how did I end up here? Yesterday as I laid on my friend Steph’s roof and stared up into the clear blue sky I thought, what if I never came on this trip? I’m not really sure what I’m going to do with everything I’ve learned in the past four months, but it’s going to be good. WATCH OUT WORLD. 

Sad to leave my friends and family here, excited to see my friends and family at home. So soon. AHHHH

XO
E
Colorful homes of the Bo Kaap
Sunrise view from my window every morning

View on the way up Table Mountain

Top of Table Mountain

Lion's Head sunset

HI Cape of Good Hope


1 comment:

  1. This post is amazing and I'm so lucky to have found you on this adventure that we decided to go on! You inspire me

    ReplyDelete