Thursday, May 9, 2013

What makes South Africa...South Africa

This is it, the last time I'll be doing this. South Africa has been life changing and inspiring and a once in a life time experience. I said bye to my host family on Monday morning and it was so so difficult this time around for many reasons. I'm going to miss SA and Cape town and the Bo Kaap so much.

It takes a lot of words and years of travel and living to be able to describe this country and my experience here. Currently on the bus back from Worcester and I feel inspired so here it is, what makes SA...SA (for me, right now):

- Apartheid, it's everywhere
- HIV/rape/inequality/injustice/death
- Simon's Town
- Penguins
- Weet-bix/jungle oats for breakfast
- Zwelethemba, home.
- Olga Macingwane, my mama
- Church experience in ZW
- Biking through Worcester wine country
- Xhosa
- Afrikaans
- "Lekker!" "Howzit?" "Now now" "Shame man."
- Townships
- Table Mountain - unreal view
- Lion's Head (and the friends we made at the top)
- Cape Point - Cape of Good Hope
- Old Biscuit Mill - most amazing artisan/farmer's market that happens on Woodstock every Saturday. It's heavenly.
- Long Street
- Amazing beaches right next to mountains
- The Bo Kaap community
- Cape Malay food
- Spice Market
- Salwa, my crazy/amazing Bo Kaap host mama
- Ziyaad - the little bugger
- Mzoli's in Gugulethu township - Sunday funday redefined.
- High Africa - retreat camp
- Smiles, celebration of life, heart and soul in everything
- Sound of drums
- Music everywhere
- Beautiful sunrises/sunsets
- Roiboos tea all day, everyday
- SO much beauty
- Unbelievably inspiring guest lecturers
- Story-telling culture - don't hold anything back
- HIV/AIDS seems so casual. It's not.
- Danger and crime. What's driving it?
- Coming full circle and feeling so connected as an IHP group
- NATURE

I have this weird feeling that I could have a future in South Africa. Who knows? Leaving this place so soon, stay tuned for a final blog tomorrow. Kinda scared to see what comes out in that one. So many emotions.

XO
E




No comments:

Post a Comment