Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Love. Breathe. Me.

Three words. So much meaning. My motto. During a POD (person of the day) exercise that we do every morning, we were asked to pick three words that would be our motto throughout the trip.

LOVE. I have already opened my heart so much on this journey. I didn't even know I had the potential to connect in this way with so many people. It's an absolutely incredible feeling.

BREATHE. One breath can bring everything back together when I'm feeling all over the place.

ME. I'm doing this! I've never felt so alive. This is my chance to find my place in the world. I have no idea what that means just yet but I know it's out there. I'm doing me.

I am currently on the plane from NOLA to Chicago. I can't believe the time has come. I have a 6 hour layover, 16 hour flight to Hong Kong, and another 6 hours between me and Chennai, India. I have absolutely no idea what my life will be like from this moment on, but I am so excited.

My last week in New Orleans was full of growth and happiness. During this week we took a trip to a farmers market with the entire group. On the way back, I was sitting on the bus next to a stranger and was observing my surroundings. My friend Holly was talking to a young boy that had just gotten out of school. Another friend was playing patty cake with a little girl and another talking to a boy our age about IHP. While this moment seemed so small in comparison to the whole trip, it was one of the best for me. I sat silently and just listened. I realized that though we are only 33 students in a huge world, even one conversation or game or smile can change someone's day or maybe their life.

Things my experience in NOLA/with IHP has given me so far:
- JAZZ
- Gumbo
- Love
- Friends
- Ability to question the familiar
- Realization that the world is a big and crazy place and I can't fix/do everything but I'll try!!
- An understanding of my privilege.

This list could go on forever, but for now I will leave you all with that. I can't wait to update you all from India.

Until then,
E xo

No comments:

Post a Comment