Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Places, New People, Same E

Hello from my new blog!!!

New Year: Today marks the first day of a year full of change, adventure and new experiences for me. I am beyond excited to see what 2013 has in store. 2012 has come and gone and I am so thankful for everything that has happened to me in this past year. I have grown so much as a student, friend, yogi, and now as a world traveller. One of the best days of 2012 was when I was sitting in a car going home to New York City from Boston, exhausted after a long week of exams, and I checked my email only to find my acceptance letter for IHP (International Honors Program) Health and Community Study Abroad in India, Argentina, and South Africa. In that moment I felt a mix of excitement/nerves/shock, but I knew that 2013 would be so good to me.

New Places: For those of you who don't know I will be leaving from NYC on January 13 for New Orleans where I will meet the rest of my peers, faculty, advisors, etc for two weeks of orientation. On January 29 the overseas journey begins with my flight to India. I will be staying in Chennai which is in southern India. On March 7th I will travel to Buenos Aires, Argentina where I will stay for four weeks until I travel to Capetown, South Africa on April 5th. This crazy semester will come to an end on May 10th when I will arrive back home. It still seems like a dream that this journey is beginning in only 12 days. Each country has its own unique and beautiful culture to share, and I can't wait to be a part of it.

New People: Throughout the semester I will be traveling with 35 other students from all over the country and the IHP faculty and advisors. In a short time these students will be my friends and support system throughout our shared experience abroad. I will also be meeting so many new people in the countries I travel to. In each country I will be living with a homestay family, allowing me to be exposed at all times to completely new cultures and lifestyles. I hope to build strong relationships with everyone I meet during the next four months, and take full advantage of what everyone has to offer and use it to make my journey unforgettable. "A place is only as good as the people you know in it."

Same E: The next four months are going to be a whirlwind of NEW, but I will be the same Elisa. I will smile a lot, be awkward at times, get nervous, act crazy, laugh, and cry. I plan to keep an open mind and heart and stay present every single day. I plan to not let anything hold me back throughout this experience. Can't even wrap my head around what is coming. Every time I think about it I get the first day of school butterflies. I still catch myself thinking I'm going back to BU for another semester with my friends. Last night (New Year's Eve), when I was surrounded by most of my best friends and family, it hit me. I'm going to miss them so much. I know it will be hard at times but I will be in touch and I can't wait to share this journey with everyone through pictures and this blog.

Someone wise once said "we living no limits" (jk it was Kanye West), and that's my motto for this semester!

Besos,
E

3 comments:

  1. Dear Elisa,
    Congratulations!!!
    You are undoubtedly busy, getting ready for your trip. Wow!!! IHP, Health and Community Study Abroad in India, Argentina, and South Africa. That sounds so exciting. I look forward to reading your blogs.
    My prayers and good wishes are with you Elisa.

    Lots of love,
    Maria Bakalian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss you soooo much but I know you are on your way to a great journey. May it be a safe one. Love you

    ReplyDelete