Monday, March 18, 2013

Bienvenidos a BA

¡Hola amigos!

Where do I even begin? When we were in New Orleans we talked a lot about the "reverse culture shock" we would feel when finally returning to the US. I'm not one to be culture shocked, but I think what I felt when arriving in Buenos Aires was close enough. Buenos Aires is the polar opposite of Chennai.
Vegetarian vs meat lovers
No alcohol vs wine at every meal
Cover up every inch of your body vs let it all out and embrace
Being stared at vs making mutual eye contact (it's the little things)
Being super dependent on home stay family vs SO much independence

There is this passionate/sexy aura about Buenos Aires. The way they dance, talk, sing, eat, drink. I can't believe it's already been over a week since our arrival here. My days have been full of class, wine, ice cream, empanadas, fun markets, shopping, and a lot of walking. There are so many things to do, places to see in this city, I already feel like I don't have enough time.

My host mom is the cutest thing. She is a divorced woman without children. She says I'm "chic" and that we are a perfect match. She plays a mixture of jazz, Michael Buble, Hawaiian and classical music all day long. She wears pink everyday and serves food on these cute little trays. We bonded over our love for quinoa and leather. It was meant to be. I feel so lucky to be in another amazing home stay with a woman that I can learn so much from.

There's something about this city, I'm not sure what it is, but it makes me feel so at home and comfortable. (Maybe it's because I blend in and look semi-Argentinian with my tan from Goa) At times I feel like I'm back in Boston, it feels a little weird. (I swear the Latino club promoters are the same ones in Boston)

So happy and feel so lucky.
Muchos besos XOXO
E



No comments:

Post a Comment