Friday, April 5, 2013

Ciao Ciao BA

It's time! 33 estudiantes take over a plane once again and head to SOUTH AFRICA. After a perfect last night out in Buenos Aires, and a lovely breakfast and tea with my host madre at our favorite little organic tea shop, I am ready. I will miss Buenos Aires and the people I have met here so much, but I'll be back. I'm excited for a new place with new people and new everything. This is it, our last destination. How did I even make it this far? For the longest time this trip was just an idea in my head, something in the future. It felt like South Africa was so far away, but now it's here. So many emotions and jitters AHHH.

SO I decided to keep the trend going and made a little list of what makes Buenos Aires... Buenos Aires (for me):

- dulce de leche
- Carolina (crazy country coordinator)
- Palermo (home)
- Parque de Las Heras
- Mate
- Leather
- Vino
- Ciao
- Alfajores
- Fer (lovely club promoter)
- Running on Libertador
- Best gelato at a little hidden cafe
- Nueve de Julio
- Soy + pesticides
- Environmental injustice
- "Universal" healthcare
- Guia T
- Sitting in cafes to get wifi everyday
- Tea
- Pick Market (organic and fun grocery store with amazing sandwiches)
- "Que divina" - classic Maritina line
- MARITINA THE SUPERSTAR
- Carrefour trips
- the platformed sandal things that all the girls wear here
- Pick-pocketers
- El Ateneo - beautiful bookstore
- Teatro Colon
- Disparity
- Coexisting socioeconomic classes

There is so much to say about this lovely city. I want to come back and explore the country further and understand the areas outside of Buenos Aires more. There's something so inviting about South America and the Latino culture, I love it. CIAO Buenos Aires.

SOUTH AFRICA:
So, the next month is going to be very very different from what I've been doing so far. South Africa is a beautiful country with a tense history and interesting health situation. Just like coming to Buenos Aires, it will be another crazy transition. We arrive in Capetown tomorrow and will be traveling to the Oatlands which is very close to the sea. After three days of prep we will be moving on to Zwelethemba, a township about 4 hours away from Capetown. My communication will be very minimal (if any) throughout these 2 weeks. On April 20th we will head to Capetown itself and stay there with homestay families in an area called Bo Kaap which is predominantly Muslim. I can't wait to explore and tell you all everything about it.

Until then, besos from BA one last time,

xo
E

No comments:

Post a Comment