Monday, April 15, 2013

Olga's Story


My name is Olga N. Macingwane living in Zweletemba Township. My residential adress is 29 Busa Avenue: Kwez Worcester. I was married but now I am a widow. My husband was passed away in 2003 May 23 by a car accident. I have got three children two boys and a girl. I decided to wrote this story about myself because of the painful I have. This happened about thirteen years ago, but it’s still a pain to me because of the difficulties I still facing. What makes me so angry it’s when I see my children suffering. So I cannot accept my life like this. I try by all means to counsel myself but it doesn’t work. It is very difficult to grew children alone without someone helping. In all what I can say I thank god in every step. I also thank my husband’s family they always on my side. But what I can say is this, I cannot accept this life. My life is not alright. Briefly let me tell you what happend at that Christmas Eve. It was a sad day in the afternoon. I was accompanied about my husband. We left home at about ten o’clock in the morning because my husband was going to De Doorns by train. I left my husband halfway to the station. I go back to Ok Bazaars making some shopping.....

......

I enter at Shoprite Checkers everybody was happy. I try to ask what is this bad smelling but nobody answer me. I took the trolley making some groceries. When I finish I try to go to the teller. I see all the tellers are full. I try to go to the other I find the teller not full. I stand behind a coloured man. He was paying four litre cool drink. I stood behind him. When I finish taking all the groceries out of the trolley, I open my wallet. I took the money, about three hundred rand because the groceries was about two hundred and something rands. She was a lady who saves me. When I gave her I didn’t know what happened. There was a big blast and it became pitch black. After some time I tried to stand up I couldn’t stand up it was so painful to stand. I didn’t see even the lady I gave her some money, I see only myself. At the back of Shoprite bakery I hear someone saying to me ‘come here.’ I couldn’t stand up. I walk with my knees until at the back. I go out with a back door. There were two guys who were passed away, they pick me up to the end of the road. I said to them leave me here. After a few seconds I hear another big blast. It was where I didn’t know what happened. I was unconscious from that time, it was around about +/- 1:35 pm in the afternoon because I was inside Shoprite Checkers around 1:15 pm.

I woke up 6h00pm in the evening at Eben Donges hospital. When I woke up I tried to ask the nurse who was beside me, asking her what happened. She told me that, “did you know that there was a Bomb blast at Shoprite Checkers?” I was very afraid starting to cry because I didn’t see the bomb we only see it on the TV’s. I was afraid starting to cry and thinking of my children and I left home at 10h00 am in the morning because my husband was going to De Doorns by train. He is going to take the train about 12h00 am. I ask the doctor to discharge me even if it was so sick because it was a Christmas the next day. After Christmas I go back to the hospital. I was treated the whole year. My both legs were damaged. I was using the walking sticks. My backage was painful. My both ears were treated. I hear a big blast for a long time. My left ear even now there’s something fluid passing out. It’s a yellowish in colour.

The Impact of the Bomb Blast

I cannot sleep the whole night, two hours is enough for me. I cannot sleep without using paintables. Sometimes I like to be alone. I cannot work because I cannot stand for ten hours per day. Especially at summertime my both legs are swollen. I am suffering to grow up children alone, because my husband was past away in May 23 in 2003.

My children didn’t finish at school because I am not working I am suffering financially. I have got three children. But I like to thank my husband’s family they help me a lot but not regularly. Even now they stay there to my husband’s family but it is not nice to stay without your children. I like one day to stay my children if God can help me.

Ups and Downs of Life Until I Met German People

On the 28 October 2009 there were two guys called Toney and Richard came in Worcester. They came oversea. They invite the victims of the Bomb blast. It was me (Olga) and the other lady who was walking at Shoprite Checkers and the mother of the late Sweetness Busakwe who was also a victim and was working at Shoprite Checkers. We meet at Zanokhnayo Educare Center at Mrs. Ndomoyi’s place. These two guys asked someone who can share the story of Shoprite Checkers. The two ladies refuses, they say “No,” they are tired of everybody coming here wanting the story. When these two guys asked me what are my views about this. I said to them Yes I am willing to share the story. They asked me when I come the next morning to share the story at Shoprite Checkers alone. I said to them I am willing to share story. The next morning they came to pick me up to Shoprite Checkers. I was accompanied my Mrs. Louis Gertrude and Mrs. Elvin Ndomoyi. We go to Shoprite Checkers. It was around by ten o’clock in the morning. We arrive at Shoprite Checkers about 10.15 am.

When we came to Shoprite Checkers these two guys took there cameras Televising everything there. I show them where I was standing and told them what was happening. It was a sad day because when I tried to tell the story I collapse again in front of the teller, because I tried to show Tony and Richard what happened. They televised the whole story. We left at Shoprite Checkers at 12h30 pm afternoon. We came to my house about 2h00pm. They interview me from 2h00 pm until 3h30 pm inside my house. After that they took me some photos. I showed them the papers I read in 2002 it is where I know that my perpetrators were being sentenced. I told Toney and Richard that I didn’t know their appearance in court. We didn’t know nothing about the case. The whole thirteen years. They told me that did I aware that these perpetrators want the Forgiveness and they are going to appear in court the next week which is 10 November 2009. I said to them I didn’t know that. I told them I am willing to go to Pretoria but it is a short notice and I have got money to go to Pretoria. The day they visited me it was on Wednesday. My perpetrators are supposed to appear the next Tuesday. On Friday night the same week I receive the phone call from Toney and Richard saying that they prepare me a hired car to come and fetch me and they told me that they already booked a hotel for me to come to Joburg....
......

They ask me that I am fit to go to Pretoria Prison.

I said to them “Yes” because I want to see my perpetrator for almost thirteen years ago. We arrived at Pretoria Prison about 2h00 pm in the afternoon. Toney and Richard televised outside the prison. They ask me how do I feel now because we are here in the Prison now? I said to them I cannot say anything now and I cannot unless I can first meet Stefaans Cotzee. When we enter the Prison the management didn’t allow us to come in with the cameras. We left the cameras in the entrance. We go inside without the cameras. It was a sad day for me. When we get inside we saw this young man here we didn’t expect that he should be him because he was to young. When we enter the room the management, Social assistant head Prison, Toney, Richard, Maje, Harris Sebeka, Olga Macingwane, Elvin Ndomoyi and Gertrude Louw. We introduce each other firstly. I was very surprised to see my perpetrator as a young man like Stefanns Cotzee I expect a man with a big body and the man with a middle ages. Everybody who was there he ask Stefaans the questions and he was a brilliant somebody he wrote down the questions and he answered each and every question. When they finished they asked me to question Stefaans. The first thing I ask is me to pray. After that I ask Stefaans Cotzee Why he do so bad thing to me. He answered me saying that I hate the black people. He said that his parents also hate the black people.

He told me that he was trained by the Wit Wolwe people to do bombd, trained to shoot, he was living on the farm in Beaufort West. He has been deploy to attack people to plant the bombs over the world. He said he was not involve in the bomb who was blast in Shoprite Checkers. He sad he was very surprised. He sad he planted the bomb at the Taxi Rank of black people, but it does not blast. He planted there because he knows that the black people are there and are busy with shopping. I ask him Stefaans what are your intentions about your future. He said he like to be the father one day and he like to be married so that he can teach his children the right way to live. I ask him again ‘ Stefaans if I can forgive you and what did you promise to do for us as a victim. He said Olga I promise nothing because I was here in prison from eighteen years old I’ve got nothing so I cannot promise anything, but what I want I want to change my life and I want to go back to my community and teach other young people how to live. He said he do something he in Prison to train other young people. He talked to me with tears in his eyes. When I leave here in Worcester I told myself that I cannot forgive this person because I have a pain, but when I talk to Stefaans and told me the whole story, I started thinking of my children and I told myself that if it was my child what would happen. I said to him Stefaans I forgive you. He doesn’t believe me that I forgive him. I said to him really Stefaans I forgive you. After that I said to him whether Stefaans this story you told me is true or false it’s up to you. It is only God who knows that you are telling me the truth or not. I said to him I am not your Judgement, your judgement is your God. I said again to him Stefaans I stand up now, I hug him in front of the people and I feel pain with tears on my eyes, I said to him I forgive you. But I am not taking the decisions for the other victims I do this for my own sake. Everybody in this room was full of tears on his or her eyes. It was a sad moment but after some few seconds everybody was feel alright. We talk to the Head Prison that we ask Stefaans one day to come to Worcester, so that he can come and share his views with other victims. Stefaans promise to write a letter to other victims asking forgiveness and told them that he was very happy to meet with Olga. The other thing makes me to forgive him is because I ask him where are these people who trained you, are they come to visit you here in prison. He said “no” they didn’t come to visit him. I ask him about his parents’ Are your parents come to visit you? He said his parents didn’t come to visit him in the prison. We shake hands with eachother in the room. We stand up and go....
.......

I told them I feel good now because after thirteen years I have seen my perpetrator and I have asked the other victims to come and visit Stefaans because they can be healed.

This was written by: Olga N. Macingwane
And signed by: Olga N. Macingwane
On the day of 20th August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment